Friday, June 17, 2016

The First Time I Set My Eyes On Him


Three years back, on this same day, my life changed. I saw him for the first time. Just about the size of a lime, this little one seemed as excited as we were. It was the first time I set my eyes on my baby and I fell in love, like never before. Nothing else mattered at that moment. I knew I would love the baby, irrespective of whether it was a boy or girl, with all my heart, I knew I would go to any extent to keep my baby safe and I knew this baby was going to be my entire life, my entire being.

Throughout the scan, this little one was jumping and I could've sat there and watched the baby all day long! I had B and my mother along with me and that day did indeed bring the two of them a bit more closer to my heart. It was so endearing to watch their faces while the scan was going on. That day, I saw the hopes of a daddy to be, how mentally he too was pregnant as I was and how this scan was to change his life too. But above all this, I will forever associate that day with the happy tears I saw on Amma's (my mom's) face! Though I did sense the emotions running through her mind, it made more sense after I became a mother (and maybe it would make even more sense if ever I mother a daughter). I could feel her heart swelling up and her mind sighing how her little baby has grown up and is about to be a mother. I could sense how she was thinking of the days she carried me on her womb. I could sense her disbelief and gratefulness. And that moment, I held her hand and squeezed it tight to let her know that I understand, just like those tiny kicks I started getting a month later, by someone who was very persistent in letting me know that he was there with me, no matter what. 

In fact, I think of this day with more fondness and happiness than the day I knew I was pregnant. This day gave me the assurance that was much needed for me to let the pregnancy started to sink it. It gave us the push we needed to start dreaming, to think about our life as three from two and look forward to the cuddles and kisses. It, in fact, brought us closer to the little boy who has ever since, been our whole world! Now, this exact day, he turns 2.5 and I couldn't be more grateful for how my life has turned out from this day, three years ago to now. And today, as I get myself ready for bed, I whisper a silent prayer and be thankful for the last three years, watching him grow from a lime sized, tiny little being to the most adorable naughty, little boy that he is now!

2 comments: