Monday, December 12, 2016

Best Friends Forever!


A dear friend of mine, one of my soul sisters, saw the birthday cake that I got this year from my friends here and told me how she felt a tuck in her heart reading the "best friends" tag that was written in it. She wondered how these new friends became my best friends all of a sudden when people like her have always been around.

Growing up, I always thought that one could have only one best friend. And just like everybody who had that one friend whom you were closer to than anyone else, whom you favoured more than everyone else, I too had one. We grew up together, being with each other as much as possible (and it was easy since we were family friends and all the trips and dinners were mostly together!) and were an inevitable part of each other's lives. We didn't have to update each other on what's happening in our lives, since the other was equally a part of it, sharing with us all the happiness and sorrows (as cliche as it sounds). As it happened, she was my best friend and the world too knew us as the best friends that we were. 

But somewhere down the line, other people too joined in the list. The ones who saw the best and worst of me. The ones who accepted me as I am. The ones who pointed out to me my mistakes yet loved me. The ones who influenced me without even realising. The ones whom I realised I can't live without! It took me a very long time to accept them as my best friends, to look beyond the one best friend that I had. We were thick friends too, standing by each other come what may - minus the tag line! Even when I changed schools, went to college, started work, got married and had a baby, they stayed with me. They stood up for me in front of others, they even made friends with the family I got married into and in short, they were my life!

A new school and later, college, added another amazing bunch of people to the list. We may not have shared my whole childhood with, but we found common interests, we gave each other company when nobody else was there. More than anything, this set of people brought life and happiness to the new beginnings I chose. I grew up from being a child to an adult with them. We shared many 'firsts' together, slowly marking our presence in each other's lives.

When I started work, I made another set of amazing friends. We kept each other company while we worked late, we figured our way together amidst all the office politics, we lent a ear to each other when we cribbed about our bosses and we held each other's hands through all the frustrations. It was only because of them that life at work became easier and for that I will always be grateful to them.

In between all these, there have been people who have been a constant part of my life from the time I remember. This bunch is more of a family than friends. Our parents knew each other, we grew up together and we held close like we were siblings. Some were close to home and we were together almost all the time. We did trips together, we came back home late night almost every other day that the parents finally realised it was pointless to tell us and better to crib amongst themselves. We stood by each other through deaths, marriages and even births. We've had bitter fights without the apprehension of loosing the other only to end up hugging each other and wondering where to go for dinner once the fight was over.  There have been a lot of "I can't believe you are getting married" yet, we were more excited than them on their special day. Some were far away, yet the distance never came in between. We looked forward to the once in a year visits when we could spend time together and no amount of time was sufficient for our chats. We cried our hearts out and shared our happiness through chats and messages. We shared photos and videos to keep the other updated about our life. This bunch have been the closest I've had as the big bunch of cousins that I've always dreamt of but never had (I have only one first cousin and I consider her more as a sibling than a cousin). In fact, I do not remember a life without them!

Forward to now, the boy's friends' moms have become an integral part of my life. I am rediscovering my childhood with them. And I do not know how I would get past one day without them. Having them around, I know that I have help at hand whenever needed. I finally feel at home, here in Bangalore, after seven years of being here. We share our anxieties, worries and dreams together. We went with each other to the doctor's when the little ones fell sick, we checked on each other when the husbands were travelling and we were home alone with the little ones, we stepped up for the other whenever there was a need. We had fun while the little ones were at school and explored food joints and shops together. We have become family!

Because of all these amazing people, I now know I have quite a few best buddies in my life. The ones who are always by my side. While one comes with me for breakfast dates, the other makes sure I am a part of all the outings, yet another sends my favourite dish each time she makes and another lets me be bossy around her.... the list just goes on. And I am forever grateful for them. My wolf pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment