Thursday, February 2, 2017

'Cup'verted And Couldn't Be Happier!


Sometime around the time when I was 12 years old, one fine day I was told I was no more a little girl and I have 'come of age'. I was told I had to act so, mindful of my steps and my body, walk ladylike and so many other dos and don'ts, imposed on me by everyone around me, other than my parents (I am really grateful for them!).

Thankfully, I studied in a girls only convent school and 'apprehension' was a word none of us, girls, had in our dictionary. This 'bloody' monthly visitor was considered normal and we were still in a world where we jumped around, danced and did practically just about everything without any worries. "I am having my periods" was more often told as an excuse when we didn't want to participate in something rather than as a worry. We openly asked around for pads, and stains in our dress were pointed out by the other girls, mostly never as a whisper and sometimes even shouting out loudly from one corner to the other.

However, this relaxation and liberty existed only within the closed walls of the convent school. On other times when I was outside, and later when I shifted schools to a co-ed one and subsequently went to college, having your periods was a "shush" topic - things that you don't speak about loudly and definitely not to the boys. In case you stained your dress, your friend(s) would come behind you and whisper in cryptic language about the 'disaster'. 

It's been a long long time now with the "can you check my back?" to sitting awkwardly hoping against hope that you don't stain the seat you are sitting on to giving some stupid, random excuse/an awkward silence for stopping the car at a medical store to buy a packet of whisper because you ran out of pads to hiding used napkins to throw it away, covering it with newspapers. In between all this, and I hate the waste accumulation these napkins add up to, the stained bedsheets and worst of all, having to ask the host of the place where you are a staying as a guest as to where to throw away the waste, I stumbled upon this eco-friendly, reusable wonder called menstrual cups. I checked the various sites, came across various brands and types, but somewhere, I was apprehensive to take the plunge. I didn't know anyone who used a cup to wonder out loud my concerns, to turn to for answers to silly doubts of mine, which left me midway to wanting to give the cup a try and shying away from it. Finally, one day, as I got my monthly visitor just when an exciting, action packed day was about to start, I decided that enough was enough and I ordered my first menstrual cup from the Boondh site. It was easier to make the plunge with Boondh because it came in one size and I didn't have to rack my brain to figure out which size I should order. The only thing I was confused about was the choice of colours and zeroing down on one.

The cup came in two days and boy, it has literally been 'happy periods' ever since. I remember having a conversation with a friend and discussing how 'happy periods' is literally an oxymoron, but trust me, with the cup, it's as close to the truth as you can get. I was apprehensive about inserting and removing the cup, but there are lot of articles and videos out there to help you out and considering how much I was worried, it was indeed a breeze! The last two cycles have been a joy in terms of being active without any apprehension or worry, whatsoever. I even dared to wear white and walk around, something I've always been uncomfortable about. There were times when I totally forgot that I was on my periods only to jump, dance and do whatever that was possible to do. 

I have never felt this liberated that I haven't been able to stop gushing about it to my girl friends, 'cup'verting two close ones too in the process. It has been an amazing experience so far, getting to know my body better and regaining control over my life on all days without having to sacrifice a few days of my life every month to an 'awkward' visitor. And best of all, I am more excited about not having to shy away anymore from getting into the pool and water rides while mumbling some stupid reasons for the same. "I am having my periods" is no more an excuse either, rather I've started to associate it with empowerment and celebration. It is truly life-changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment